Welcome To Orca Cove

In keeping with a "Free Willy" spirit that everyone usually associates with the orca whale, I intend for this blog to be a "no-holds-barred," honest and open forum. Where I hope to post on any and everything from my long battle with severe chronic pain, my newest and favourite crafting hobby, Rainbow Loom (and maybe even some of my old hobbies too, like knitting, cross stitch, rug hooking etc.). I hope to also share some general and/or interesting life hacks, favourite video/YouTube links, parenting tips (which will most likely be me asking for help than the other way around), and any and everything in between.

Look for my (hopefully) weekly QOT…W and FLASHBACK FRIDAY posts, notices about tutorials posted to my YouTube channel, and the occasional comment on an interesting Pinterest/Instagram post. Thanks so much for stopping by!





Friday, July 24, 2015

~ FLASHBACK FRIDAY ~ July 3, 2015 ~ "HAIR DAZE" ~

As I approach the date of my annual hair cut, I thought now would be a good time for me to try a new curling technique that my sister-in-law told me about this week. (And yes, you read that correctly, and it is unfortunately very true. For the past 3-4 years, it has just happened to work out that I have only gotten my hair cut once a year, around the first or second week of July ~ hence the dry, flyaway, frizzy, split-end hair that you see in the photos)

I get my hair cut at First Choice Hair Cutters, and it is quite astounding really, that I have been fortunate enough to have had the same hairdresser for each of those haircuts.

I have come across a few names for the no-heat, curling technique that Sue (@suecarswell) told me about. I've seen it called "T-Shirt Curls" (but it's not the ages old practice of rolling your hair up in cut stips of cloth and then tying the ends together). I've also seen it called "Flopping" and "Plopping."

Since I'm pretty reluctant about posting my ugly mug on-line again in the first place, I will NOT be doing a video of this technique. Besides, there are already plenty of tutorials on t-shirt curls out there to be found on YouTube. All you have to do is search "t-shirt curls" and I believe the very first video on the list is the technique that I am talking about.

I will however, post clear, step-by-step instructions on what I did to follow this technique.

This will be a true challenge and test of the veracity of this technique. I am certain that I have the finest, thinnest hair of any man, woman, or child on the planet. I would even be willing to bet that the Sphynx has thicker, fuller hair than I do!

I was told by a haridresser years ago that not only is my hair very, very fine, but that it is much, much thinner than most peoples hair is. She said that if I were to place a dime on my head and count the number of hairs within the dime's circumferance and compare that with the number of hairs within a dime's circumferance of someone else, I would discover that I had far fewer hairs than most everyone else. So, if this method of "non-heat curling" works at adding curls and volume to MY hair, it will most certainly work for anyones hair!

WHAT TO DO AND HOW IT WORKS: (Step-by-step instructions ~ read down the left side first, then the right side, last pic in in the middle).

1. The first photo shows my hair 3 days post-washing. (The last time I had washed my hair was on Tuesday, June 30th, just before my daughter and I headed up to the lake for a couple of days).

2. I washed my hair, (just once though. I did not "lather, rinse AND repeat" as recommended, I just lathered and rinsed. I find that my hair gets just as clean with only one washing and being the penny pincher that I am, figure I can save a few of those pennies by only washing my hair as needed). I've heard that it is better for your hair if you switch your shampoo every 2 or 3 months. So, when I found little, travel sized bottles of "Dove Advanced Hair Series ~ Oxygen Moisture ~ For fine, flat hair" shampoo and conditioner, (which could have been stocking stuffers from this past Christmas or perhaps were left behind from when my parents visited several weeks ago), I decided to try them. I am frequently trying new shampoos to see if I can find one that will actually do as advertised and add curl and/or volume to my pathetically limp hair. I was told that because my hair was so fine and thin that I shouldn't use conditioner on it. However, since the ends of my hair are so dry and split, I did add a little conditioner to my hair, working into my hair from about my ears down to the ends.   

3. After slightly drying my hair with a towel, I added my favourite curling product, "Marc Anthony Strickly Curls ~ Curl Defining Lotion". It has a wonderful, lemony smell and I used it even though I seem that I have an adverse reaction (my palms gets all red and blotchy and itch like crazy ) when I come into contact with anything that has lemon added. Fortunately, the product itself is really only applied to my hair and not my scalp. Well, I assume it is the lemon that causes my reaction because the same thing happens if I come into contact with Sunlight dish soap or Sunlight laundry detergent. 

(This is nothing at all against Sunlight, it's just that Sunlight is the only brand of product that I have used or even know about that contains lemon or lemon scent, aside from the Strictly Curls hair product that I use). For me, it is worth the irritation because I love the hair product and if I wash my hands as soon as I have applied the product, it tends to diminish the itchiness. 

4. After applying the Strictly Curls, I fingered it through my hair and then used a pick and then a brush to distribute it evenly throughout my hair. (I did this also as an added "test" of this method since I would be starting with my normal, "straight-as-a-board" hair). 

5. Next, I laid out one of my husband's t-shirts on our bed. I placed the hem of the t-shirt against the edge of the bed and face-up, stretched out the t-shirt so that it was laying flat, the sleeves out to either side.

5. Then I flipped my head upside down and finger toussling all of my hair forward, I leaned over and placed my hair over the middle of the t-shirt.

6. I lowered my head so that my hair would pile up naturally in the middle of the shirt and then I grabbed the hem of the t-shirt and placed it along my eyebrows and around to the back of my neck. Wrapping one end over the other, I held the ends in place while I grabbed the neckline of the shirt and pulled it up over my head until I reached my hand holding the hem ends in place. I then carefully stretched out the sleeves, making sure to keep the shirt tight at the back and brought each sleeve up around my ears and to the front of my forehead. I tied the sleeves in a knot and tucked in all loose sections of the shirt. I was also able to grab the hem of the shirt closest to my head and pull it up over the knotted sleeves (hopefully lessening some of the dorky look I was quickly achieving ~ however, if this works, I will gladly look like a dork over night to have natural, wavy curls in my hair)!!   

All that is left now is to wait. If you do this just before bed, you can easily sleep on your t-shirted hair and it should be perfect by the time you get up. Since I am trying this during the day, I plan on waiting for approximately 8 hours, or an average nights sleep, before checking on my hair.

THE BIG REVEAL:

It turns out that I waited for 9 hours and 20 minutes before removing the t-shirt from my head. I have to say, I am quite impressed with the results! The final, middle picture shows what my hair looked like fresh out of the t-shirt. I did not do any prepping or styling at all. I simply removed the shirt, flipped my hair back, moved some of the hair out of my eyes and took the photo.

Like I said, if this worked for my hair, as thin and fine as it is, with minimal curling product, and no styling, think what it could do for someone with normal hair!! With a little bit of time and styling, I think I could actually really like how my hair turned out. (Don't forget, it has been almost a year since my last haircut, so a lot of the frizziness and split ends would not be there).

No comments: