Welcome To Orca Cove

In keeping with a "Free Willy" spirit that everyone usually associates with the orca whale, I intend for this blog to be a "no-holds-barred," honest and open forum. Where I hope to post on any and everything from my long battle with severe chronic pain, my newest and favourite crafting hobby, Rainbow Loom (and maybe even some of my old hobbies too, like knitting, cross stitch, rug hooking etc.). I hope to also share some general and/or interesting life hacks, favourite video/YouTube links, parenting tips (which will most likely be me asking for help than the other way around), and any and everything in between.

Look for my (hopefully) weekly QOT…W and FLASHBACK FRIDAY posts, notices about tutorials posted to my YouTube channel, and the occasional comment on an interesting Pinterest/Instagram post. Thanks so much for stopping by!





Tuesday, July 28, 2015

~ TICKED OFF TUESDAY ~ July 7, 2015 ~ THOSE PESKY MOSQUITOES ~

~ TICKED OFF TUESDAY ~ July 7, 2015 ~ THOSE PESKY MOSQUITOES ~ I think that aside from spiders and June Bugs, mosquitoes are my least favourite insect!! As much as I cannot for the life of me figure out what purpose June Bugs have, I am equally as baffled as to why there are mosquitoes.

I would also like to know what it is about me that always makes me the ONE person in the crowd that mosquitoes flock to like flies to honey. I know that it is in part genetic, and can also pertain to my blood type (I'm A+) and that it also has something to do with how much carbon dioxide I exude, but that is the extent of my knowledge.

I like to joke that I'm just so sweet that they can't resist, but I'm pretty sure that my cheery dispostiion really has nothing to do with it.

I am currently sufferring from menopausal hot flashes and assume that may have something to do with my attractiveness to mosquitoes since they are attracted to the lactic acid in sweat. 

They are also attracted to smelly feet and I am so glad that I don't fall into that category because the mosquitoes that are attracted to germs that live between our toes and cause foot odor, are the same mosquitoes that carry and spread malaria!!

Mosquitoes have been around for 170 million years and of the 175 known species, only the females mosquitoes bite. I suppose (if only they didn't bite me so much) I could see that there is some level of karmic payback in that it is the females that cause all the trouble (also thinking about the Black Widow Spider). Kind of makes up for all that women have to suffer through that men do not. But alas, even the female mosquito will bite her own human-gendered counterpart. And contrary to old wives tales and urban legends, eating garlic and/or overdosing on Vitamin B supplements will not deter the hungry female mosquito from going after you.

The only tried and true method of repelling mosquitoes, is using a bug spray that contains deet. It has even been proven effective for protecting children as young as 2 months old. Initially it was thought that deet was harmful to children but studies have shown that as little as 2% deet is safe and effective for babies 2 months old and older.

So, gauge your exposure needs, (are you crocodile hunting in swampy wetland marshes, picnicing in your backyard or hanging out in the summer cottage that has had the door opened a few too many times?), select your favourite insect repellant, (I'd probably go with Muskoil for the gator trapping ~ and since mosquitoes seem to love me so much, I may just use the heavy-duty stuff all the time ~ but for most of you, a noname brand from your favourite drug store should suffice just fine for any backyard bbq), tell the mosquitoes to "bug off" (pun intended) get out there and enjoy the summer! 

#TickedOffTuesday, #WhatIrksMeMost, #PetPeeve, #UGH, #ARRGHH, Orcanut, #Mosquitoes, #Insects, #Pests, #LikeFliesToHoney, #Genetics, #BloodTypes, #CarbonDioxide, #CheeryDisposition, #Menopause, #HotFlashes, #LacticAcid, #Sweat, #FootOdor, #Malaria, #175MosquitoSpecies, #OnlyFemaleMosquitoesBite, #Karma, #InsectRepellant, #Deet, #MuskOil, #StoreBrands, #CrocodileHunting, #BackyardBBQ, #BugOff

No comments: